Subject: Re: Console screens dimmed by X
To: Christopher Tribo <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2003 23:40:11

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:27:21PM -0400, Christopher Tribo wrote:
> Recent changes to wsmoused caused X not to be able to grab the mouse
> at startup so it quit, but when it quit it didn't reset the screen
> brightness, as a result the default foreground text is barely visable
> on my screen. Shouldn't "reset" take care of this? /etc/rc.d/wscons
> restart doesn't do anything meaningful. Is there any way to reset the
> console colors to the defaults? FWIW, bold text in man pages shows up
> fine, its just normal foreground text that I can't see. shouldn't X
> restore the palette settings to their defaults on exit instead of just
> using what was there when it started?

this is a known problem with various XFree86 drivers, they are not
restoring palette correctly on exit (or even switching to virtual
terminals).  what X driver do you use?  it might be worth submitting a
bugreport to XFree86 bugzilla (

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>                   --

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (NetBSD)