Subject: Re: kern/20039 - ppp and mbuf leak
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/19/2003 11:54:20
Hi !

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 11:33:45AM +0200, Michael Kukat wrote:
> > In-kernel pppoe has the problem of missing "MSS clamping" for forwarded
> > connections AFAIK.
>
> Please expand this.

according to pppoe(4)

     Unfortunately this sysctl does not fix the MSS advertised by hosts in the
     network behind a pppoe connected router.

> > Are there any success stories about this? I never really tried this out, as it
> > was documented, that the correct MSS is only sent in outgoing connection from
> > the interface, not in forwarded connection via a firewall using pppoe0.
>
> I don't understand what you are talking about. Of course it just works,
> see pppoe(4) and search for "clamping" or see
>
>   http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/#clamping

This looks like what i want. Maybe the reference to ipnat(5) should be included
in the mentioned paragraph of pppoe(4). Otherwise the usual reader stops
reading, not thinking about hunting in other docs, as the documentation states
something like "no, not possible".

So, i will have to switch to in-kernel-pppoe now :)

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX