Subject: Re: Newbie: Install NetBSD from a Linux Drive?
To: Art Lemasters <slemas1@mindspring.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2003 20:44:13
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Art Lemasters wrote:

>    Can the NetBSD installation package(s) be downloaded to a
> Linux hard drive (Debian GNU/Linux) and installed on
> another hard drive from there?  Or is there another way to
> install NetBSD with this two-hard-drive situation?  What
> specific kind of file system does NetBSD use?

(You use the term "packages", but I believe you mean "sets".)

You can install from an unmounted filesystem. The INSTALL documentation
says: "you will need to specify the device that the file system resides on
(for example sd1e) the type of the file system, and the directory on the
specified file system where the sets are located."

Th INSTALL kernel for i386 includes support for the Linux ext2fs
filesystem.

Also have a look at the INSTALL documentation included with the downloads.

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/