Subject: Re: RAIDFrame in Production Use
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2003 11:02:41
Caffeinate The World writes:
> If you have experience in using RAIDFrame in production, I'd like to
> know what your thoughts are.
>
> I hear it is CPU intensive, how intensive is it?

The rebuild I did yesterday went at 33MB/sec, with 1% CPU usage.
(RAID 1 set, U160 SCSI drives, 1.2GHz PIII.)

> What do you use for hot swappables with NetBSD?

IBM x330 U160 drives on hot-swap sleds.

> Any power down necessary?

No.  In fact, we had a drive go yesterday on one of our servers.
I popped out the failed drive, put in a new one, and did a "raidctl -R"
to rebuild in place.  Machine was back to redundant disk state in about
15 minutes.  No fuss, no muss, and our 45-day uptime remained intact.

> Which RAID do you use and for what application?

On my home box I have RAID 1 (/, swap, and general storage) and RAID 5
(3 IDE drives, general storage).  At work we have 5 or 6 boxes
using (mostly) RAID 1 and (some) RAID 5.  These boxes are used for such
things as: undergraduate file server, mail server, NIS server, backup server,
and "transient storage" servers.  Most of these boxes are IBM x330's.

> Anyone using it on a database system like PostgreSQL or MySQL? Which
> RAID? What was it's performance with RAID added?

One box does have a PostgreSQL database on it, but since it's on a RAID 1 set,
there won't be much of a performance hit at all...(and quite likely a
performance boost in the reading case!)

Later...

Greg Oster