Subject: Re: RAIDFrame in Production Use
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2003 15:44:20
Andrew Gillham wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 01:54:56PM +0200, Christoph Kaegi wrote:
> > On 2003.04.10 16:23, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> > > If you have experience in using RAIDFrame in production, I'd like to
> > > know what your thoughts are.
> >
> > All the servers I run (about 10) are completely mirrored
> > with RAIDFrame (/, /usr, /var, /home, swap )
> >
> > I've never had troubles with it.
>
> Are people typically using one raid volume for all file systems or a
> raid volume for reach file system?

I'm using 4 raid1 sets with /, /var, /data and swap.

The main reason I started with separate sets is that swapping to a raid
set results in problems where the raid set wasn't shut down properly on
reboot so it needs it parity rebuilt with each reboot.  From there is
seemed obvious to use separate sets for each filesystem too.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/