Subject: Re: softdeps and 1.6 (and mail)
To: None <Netbsd-Users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2003 00:27:33
Quoting emre@asper.org (emre@asper.org):
> I'm wondering if anyone is using softdeps in a production environment.
> I'm thinking of using 1.6 for a busy mail server and I'm not sure if I
> should use softdeps.  The machine will have lots of ram and a fast
> processor (probably 3Ghz) along with a 80GB disk.  So, does anyone on this
> list use 1.6+softdeps on busy servers?  Any input is much appreciated.

Define "busy".

Hell, define mail server - relay or final delivery.

In real world fast mail use, processor is often close to moot.
RAM is rarely sucked up much.
Disk ... disk is important.

Screw this "80GB" disk.  This is an important machine?
Give me 2.5 GB for boot and maybe a little swap (the extra
disk space can stay blank), and give me 3 15K RPM spindles
for queues, and log.

I've asked Seagate for 2GB 15KRPM disks.  They offered that it
didn't make lost of sense (ok, they chortled and said never).

Get me a nice (not so expensive for a performance RAID) Baydel
unit and a 1GHz Athlon and I'll smoke most mail systems with it.

Give me an IDE drive and a 12GHz machine and I'll be waiting for
the disk a lot.  At least you can run seti during it's waiting time.

To answer, I've used softdeps on important machines for a couple years.
Good Thing.