Subject: Re: softdeps and 1.6 (was Re: xfs support)
To: None <emre@asper.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2003 23:40:48
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 emre@asper.org wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone is using softdeps in a production environment.
> I'm thinking of using 1.6 for a busy mail server and I'm not sure if I
> should use softdeps.  The machine will have lots of ram and a fast
> processor (probably 3Ghz) along with a 80GB disk.  So, does anyone on this
> list use 1.6+softdeps on busy servers?  Any input is much appreciated.

	Ran it on 1.6_STABLE on a some of the www.formula1.com
	servers (load balanced clusters) on top of mirrored raidframe.
	We had some scsi issues (fixed by AHC_NO_TAGS). I'm a little
	wary of running it on low CPU and memory machines - I run
	it on sparc nfs clients but had problems on a sparc nfs
	server (now retired).

	The biggest problems I've had was a powerfailure during a massive
	directory tree removal - had to run fsck -y in order to ignore the
	fact lost+found filled up with deleted files: Took a couple of
	hours to run, and a sparc10 nfs server (sometime before 1.6) which
	just choked.

	I currently have it enabled everywhere on 1.6.1_RCn: i386 &
	alpha nfs servers, i386 & sparc clients & standalone boxes.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --