Subject: Re: xfs support
To: None <Netbsd-Users@netbsd.org>
From: None <emre@asper.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2003 13:53:04
> So do the words "SGI is actively working on it" inspire me?
> Not overwhelmingly. These are the folks who came out with a $5000
> Windows workstation.  It was better than the $2000 ones from every
> vendor in the world, so they did manage to sell 4 or 5 of them :)
> Today they love Linux.

Well, of course SGI does some very stupid/silly things, but they're just
trying to stay alive in this business.  The reason why I mentioned xfs is
because of the fact that SGI actually ported 100% of xfs's features to
linux.  So the XFS that's running on linux right now is the same one
running in IRIX.

> I think IBM, who can tank for decades longer than SGI can tank, will
> back JFS longer and better (assuming SCO doesn't end up owning them ;).

Even though that's probably true, the problem I have with JFS is that
IBM's open source port actually comes from OS/2 rather than AIX.  I don't
quite understand that; I thought AIX's JFS version would be more
appropriate for this kind of stuff.

I heard UFS2 will eventually be in NetBSD.  Is UFS2 a 'journaling' file
system?