Subject: Re: xfs support
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2003 13:38:58
Quoting emre@asper.org (emre@asper.org):
> >> does netbsd support SGI's XFS?  if not, is there any work in progress?
> >
> > No, it does not.  I am also not aware of any WIPs to support it.
>
> I hate mentioning linux on this list, but it seems like a large number of
> linux users are using XFS as their default filesystem.  Mandrake ships
> with XFS support, and I'm trying it out on my laptop right now.  So far it
> has been running without any problems.
>
> There are a lof of good things being said about XFS, and SGI is actively
> working on making it better.  Allthough I am totally satisfied with ffs,
> xfs would make a nice addition to netbsd.  Something to consider in the
> future maybe.

And ReiserFS is out there and pretty cool and ext3fs is another
journaling FS that's out there.  Oh, and IBM's JFS is out there.

SGI may be fully behind it, and I love the machines for large
multiprocessor things (minus the cost), but SGI must have gotten
DEC's marketing people.  They can't build machines that people need
or really want, their OS is a bitch to install where you don't want
EVERY thing (I challenged there folks to install most of, but not
all of, RedHat, FreeBSD, Solaris and Irix on a 2GB disk and see
which one sucks most).

So do the words "SGI is actively working on it" inspire me?
Not overwhelmingly. These are the folks who came out with a $5000
Windows workstation.  It was better than the $2000 ones from every
vendor in the world, so they did manage to sell 4 or 5 of them :)
Today they love Linux.

I think IBM, who can tank for decades longer than SGI can tank, will
back JFS longer and better (assuming SCO doesn't end up owning them ;).

Me? I'd love to see caching NFS (available and handy on Solaris
and Irix) and AFS server become available long before I'd care
about the 30 people living on XFS.