Subject: Re: ftp install directory?
To: leam <leam@reuel.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2003 00:14:59
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:56:52PM -0500, leam wrote:
> When I did an ftp install last week, the ftp script was looking for the
> directory pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6N/.....
>
> It failed until I removed the "N" from the "1.6N". Is this a versioning
> issue we should keep and work around or is it something that needs to be
> fixed?

This mean you got a -current (1.6N) boot floppy, and installed the
1.6 release. That is, you installed a different version from the boot
floppy.
The path in the non-release boot floppies is usually wrong, because
there is no predefined place for the binaries. Most usually this is
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/<arch>/snapshot/<some date>/
or
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/{current,netbsd-1-6}/<some date>/
or anything else, at the discretion of the person who build the snapshot.

So, when you get a floppy for a non-release, you have to know from where
you got it, binaries are at the same place.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>