Subject: Re: MP3 to CDa format
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/28/2003 02:29:16
--=.pfV_)Cn,tswuA1

"Sporleder, Matthew \(CCI-Atlanta\)" <Matthew.Sporleder@cox.com> wrote:
> If you had to convert your mp3's to another format
> then it wouldn't be much of an mp3-playing cd player, would it?

Although, this probably violates the red book standard, it's possible to
use any kind of encoding for the CD Audio tracks. Thus, you can store
AC3, MP3, OGG etc. as "audio" data (or simply any kind of data), not
only PCM with 44.1kHz 16 bit. You could use pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrecord and
burn the CD with-audio(don't forget -pad) to store the MP3 files as
audio tracks. Well, trying to play such a CD might destroy your stereo
system. At least, it won't sound very nice. BTW, you cannot store more
than 99 tracks on a CD which isn't very much if you look at the average
size of a compressed audio track which is about 3:30 minutes long.

Anyway, I don't know whether the player really expects or requires such
"weird" CDs. Normally, those players simply understand the ISO 9660
filesystem and treat any file (ending with .mp3) as MPEG-1 layer III
encoded audio data.

Christian

--=.pfV_)Cn,tswuA1

--=.pfV_)Cn,tswuA1--