Subject: Re: Help Me Understand Serial Ports...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2003 14:30:51
Go slow, get the consoles on whatever you are console serving
to a known.  96/8/n/1 is a fine default.

Since consoles are used pretty rarely, I've never been a
fan of running them over 9600 baud.  Yes, you CAN run it
at 56kb or 128kb, and I suppose that would be handy if you
were living on that all the time (and 56k was AWESOME
when we got a VT420 attached to the unix server that was
in the next room), but it's pretty unneeded since 1990.

I ran my Sun consoles at 38k until the billionth time a new
sun came in for a couple days or whatever it was that made
me need to spend time screwing around with it.

Get the RAID down to 96 and see if it gets happier.

Oh, and make sure you've got the right cables - if you need HW
flow control (useful for longer runs), ensure that you have them.

Quoting Alex Dumitriu (alex@bitblot.com):