Subject: Re: linux emulation for eclipse
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2003 09:55:37
dgrue@web.de wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Mar 2003, Felix Zaslavskiy wrote:
>
> > I tried to get eclipse (java IDE) to run. I have 1.6.1rc2,sun-jdk1.4.1
> > I built is with linux-gtk option and when i run it i get a screen
> > 'completing installation' and thats where it hangs.  there is process
> > 'java' that keeprs running indefinatly.  Tracing the process revieals
> > that its it calling scheduler_yeild in a loop.
> >
> > Any ideas how to procede ?
>
> You might need JDK1.3 (sun-jdk13) to run eclipse.
> if you have a JDK1.4 project, you can install the JRE1.4 (for
> compilation etc.) in "Window->Preferences->Debug->Installed JREs".
>
> Another pointer: meanwhile a package devel/eclipse arised in pkgsrc
> (many thanks to jschauma@netbsd.org :-). Maybe you'll try this!? It
> works for me. Just remember to switch to JDK1.3 before starting...

Just noticing this thread now...

Yes, I just packaged eclipse.  It's a bit of a weird package.  I had no
trouble building it from sources, but it would not run under NetBSD.
However, if built on Linux, the resulting package will run just fine
under NetBSD.

Also, regardless of whether or not I was using it on Linux or NetBSD, I
was only able to build linux-motif and only with JDK1.3.

If you want to use eclipse under NetBSD, update your pkgsrc tree and
then install it from devel/eclipse.  It will download the files that I
built on a Linux machine and install them, and you should be good to go.

If you find problems (or even better, solutions!), please send-pr them
(if you like, you can set the responsible person to jschauma).

-Jan

--
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.