Subject: Re: SSH on NetBSD 1.5.2, authentication slow?
To: Tom Javen <tom.javen@innotrac.fi>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/17/2003 05:26:17
Tom Javen said:

>105 seconds on 50MHz 486 , 1.5.2.
>Protocol version 1 was "fast" , 2 is slow.

It's very hard to quantify. I have all kinds of sparcs running both NetBSD
and Solaris, and I have some i386 boxes running NetBSD.

The two fastest machines for ssh v2 are:

NetBSD walrus 1.5.4_ALPHA NetBSD 1.5.4_ALPHA (WALRUS) #13: Sun Dec 22 19:52:15 MST 2002     rmk@walrus:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/WALRUS i386

P166 MMX with 128 megs of memory with low load - about 3 seconds.

NetBSD speedy.rmkhome.com 1.5.4_ALPHA NetBSD 1.5.4_ALPHA (SPEEDY) #4: Mon Dec 16 20:12:19 MST 2002     rmk@speedy.rmkhome.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/SPEEDY i386

Athlon 1ghz with 384 megs of memory with most low load - about 1 or 2 seconds

An Ultra 5 275mhz running 1.6 seems to take about as long as an SS5 running
1.5.4 with all userland built with COPTS+=-mcpu=supersparc -mtune=supersparc.
The Ultra 5 is running in 64bit mode. Other systems are anywhere from 10 secs
to >1 minute.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com