Subject: Re: SSH on NetBSD 1.5.2, authentication slow?
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2003 12:06:39
In message <200303131644.h2DGiiU15628@dakkon.darykon.cet.com>, "Gerald C. Simmo
ns" writes:
>Just a reality check.
>
>I'm using the Public/Private DSA key authentication for SSH on a 233MHz Pentiu
>box (128MB RAM) running NetBSD 1.5.2. When I execute ssh <machine>, or slogin
><machine>,
>it takes about 10 seconds for my NetBSD box to repsond.
>
>I just assuming it's taking this long to process the 128-bit encryption.
>However, I'm running Suse Linux on a 433MHz PII box, and it responds almost
>instantly.
>
>Is there a problem here?

Try running the server and client in debug mode, and see if that gives
any clues about where they're spending their time.  But that doesn't
sound right.  Doing an ssh (with RSA keys, not DSA) from a 233 Mhz PII
to the same box -- in other words, incurring the CPU hit for both the
client and the server on the same relatively-slow machine -- is much
faster than that for me:

$ time ssh hudson date
Thu Mar 13 12:06:09 EST 2003
    1.52s real     0.42s user     0.05s system