Subject: Re: default permissions on /root
To: dan radom <dan@radom.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/08/2003 21:36:21
Hi !

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, dan radom wrote:
> > I'm also one of those people who still consider finger a good thing to
> > have enabled, and it's one thing I always turn on. I also think it's a
> > good idea to be able to finger root, and find out what's in his .plan, if
> > he have one. If you chmod /root to 700, I cannot finger him and read his
> > .plan. (Just to give one example of a reason I personally don't want /root
> > to be 700)
> >

> maybe root is a her!  j/k :)
>
> good point though.  i hadn't thought of that.

Didn't try, but what about 701? I use this for homedirs sometimes. You can't
see, what's in it, but if you know, you can use it. But maybe locatedb helps to
work around this :)

[michael@calchas michael]$ locate root/|grep "\..*rc"
/root/.bashrc
/root/.cshrc
/root/.shrc

I think personal homedirs are excluded from locatedb. But 701 is fine. I use to
have my own homedir 701, and have a directory "Work" in it, which is 700.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX