Subject: Re: default permissions on /root
To: dan radom <dan@radom.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/08/2003 20:12:23
Hi !

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, dan radom wrote:
> I just noticed that the default permissions on /root are 755 root.wheel.
> on top of that the default umask for the default shell is 022.  That
> seems like a potential security concern.  root account is used for
> administration and shouldn't be world readable.  Any thoughts from the
> masses?

Wasn't a thread about this here a while ago?

I personally also think, ~root should have 700, if user root really has his own
homedir. Other OSs have / as homedir for root, there you just can't use 700,
but for /root, it is not a problem.

Besides the meaning, root shouldn't store important files in his homedir, and
he should know what he is doing, i also think, giving stricter permissions
would make sense.

If someone doesn't like it, chmod helps. But per default, why not make it
secure?

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX