Subject: date(1) oddity
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2003 14:30:41
Hi,

by accident I found some strange behaviour in date(1). I forgot that the
seconds are separated by a dot when setting the time. The command was:

date 5400

and it was 25.02.03 00:51 at that time. So the intended seconds got
interpreted as minutes and the minutes as hours, where 54 is out of range.
What happend is that the time was set to 27.02.03 06:00. This is the minutes
set to 00 as specified and the hours advanced by 54 (48 hours == 2 days + 6
hours).

I don't see much sense in that as a feature, so is it a bug?
This is an unmodified 1.6/i386 release.

Bye, Chris

--
          __
         /// Amiga 4000T 040/40                    /~\ The ASCII