Subject: Re: cross platform driver portability?
To: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/26/2003 12:44:16
Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us> writes:

> Is there a reason that drivers for one supported card, say a 3com 905TX
> (selected at random) aren't incorporated into other non i386 platforms
> that have PCI slots, such as a Sun Ultra-5 (also selected at random)?  Or
> is this already possible?

Generally, the drivers do work on multiple platforms, and we put a lot
of effort into making that work. However, not every port's
configuration file lists every possible device that could plug into
its buses - that's at the discretion of the portmasters, and often has
to do with whether such combinations have been seen "in the field", or
specifically tested.

Users can add devices to their kernel config file and see if a device
works (and they should, mostly), and are encouraged to report their
successes or failures.

> The thought crossed my mind that it would be a definite benefit to be able
> to use just about any card already on hand with just about any NetBSD
> system being used, regardless of architecture.

This is one of NetBSD's strongest points.

        - Nathan