Subject: Re: console resolution
To: netbsd-users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2003 18:45:19
Hello Gravy,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I have
been thinking of doing something similar, so I'll offer up
some observations...

   G> I have brand new toshiba laptop that I installed NetBSD
    > on.  Is there a way to change the resolution? I'm not
    > sure if that's the correct term, but I'm not talking
    > about Xfree86, but rather the console resolution.  I
    > believe right now it's 80x25 or something.  What's the
    > highest I can set this to, in the kernel config?  This
    > laptop has a big screen (15 inch) which supports up to
    > 1400x1050 resolution in X. Is there a framebuffer
    > option?  I'm going to use -current on this laptop.

Sounds like a 12" x 9" LCD.  I'm reasonably happy with
the character size of standard VGA (10 characters per inch,
5 lines per inch).  The same size characters on a 15" LCD
would provide 120 columns x 45 rows.

 From your figures the LCD seems to have a resolution of 116
(and two thirds) dots per inch, which seems a slightly odd
figure.  The wierd resolution doesn't make for a neat fit,
but an 11x23 pixel character cell could give you 127 whole
columns by 45 whole rows (with some spare pixels left over).

My '17 inch' CRT monitor (15.7" visible diagonal) is wound
in very slightly to 15".  I would like to run it at 120
columns x 45 rows, at 80 DPI (8x16 pixel character cell).

On this machine dmesg says 'wsdisplay0 at vga0: console
(80x25, vt100 emulation)', so perhaps there's a way of
asking wscons to set things up differently?  I wonder if
wscons is limited by the display modes offered by the
display adaptor.  I should probably read its source in an
attempt to gain some kind of insight.

   - Andy Ball.