Subject: Re: Audio problems...
To: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/2003 20:33:16
On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:17:19PM -0500, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > > 2) Are there any soundcards that NetBSD suppots hardware mixing on?
> >
> > Mixing of different sources?  Yes.
>
> Can you give me an example?  The emuxki driver only allows one app at a
> time to access /dev/audio...

I misunderstood the question.  I thought it was about "mixing audio signal
from several sources like line input, CD, DAC, etc".

No, you can't access /dev/audio from several programs simultaneously.
I have two audio devices on this machine, so one device (eap) can do
what it wants while the one on motherboard is used for audio playback.
Not an ideal solution - I have to run two copies of xmmix etc. but
better than missing a cron-timed audio recording because the audio
device was busy.

  -jm