Subject: OpenBSD vs. MicroBSD...
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/2003 08:53:27
Did anyone else notice this article on Slashdot?

<http://bsd.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/21/157222>

-> Recently there's been quite a row in the OpenBSD community over
-> copyright infringement by the OpenBSD spinoff, MicroBSD. Many parts
-> of MicroBSD would seem to be a wholesale search-n-replace of the two
-> names...including copyright notices. As a result, MicroBSD has shut
-> down. It's worth noting that, as of this story submission, the
-> MicroBSD Web site is still up and running with no special notices."

Now, I'm not quite familiar with all the history of the OpenBSD / NetBSD
split, but I'm under the impression that OpenBSD effectively wholesale
copied the then existing NetBSD tree and modified it to their needs.
Which is certainly /allowed/ under the BSD license, as long as the
proper attributions are retained.

And though I disagree with the reported wholesale search-and-replace of
copyright notices done by MicroBSD, that's clearly in violation of the
BSD license, it does seems like an easy enough problem to fix and get
back in compliance with the BSD licensing terms.  So why all the fuss to
shut them down?

Is my understanding of the history between NetBSD and OpenBSD mistaken,
or does this behavior by OpenBSD towards MicroBSD really seem a bit
hypocritical?

-brian.