Subject: Re: FTPD: disallowing concurrent connections from same IP
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/19/2003 18:23:35
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:33:51PM -0800, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> > I can require logins (over SSL with clear passwords) and offer
> > downloads.  modbandwidth or altq  handle usage limits  (someone
> > connects 11 times, it's just as fast as 1 time).
>
> Is there some guide out there on setting up altq? I'm interested in
> trying it out (for reasons unrelated to this whole ftp business),
> but the altq manpages assume you know what everything is and just
> need to know the syntax for how to do it.

Here's a nice step-by-step How-To, with references to the relevant
RFC's near the end:

    http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/software/TIPS.txt

more here:

    http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/software.html#ALTQ

There are also (uninstalled) sample configs in the altqd sources.

The absolute simplest way, BTW, to evenly allocate bandwidth by
destination IP is weighted-fair round-robin queueing, with the default
hashing by destaddr. So "/etc/altq.conf" would have simply one line
containing "interface ifN wfq".

Frederick