Subject: Re: FTPD: disallowing concurrent connections from same IP
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/2003 09:56:01
On Tuesday 18 February 2003 07:47, John Maier wrote:

> My workaround...limit the number of simultanious connections to 20 and limit
> the bandwidth.

Just limit the overall bandwidth and let the users fight amongst themselves.
Don't limit the total number of connections--put the bandwidth to what you
can sustain and let them learn a bit more about what a tragedy of the commons
means.

> Anyway I'm seeing some people who think I'm Napster and try to download 5+
> songs at once.  This of course eats up 5 of my 10 available slots, chokeing
> out 4 potential people.  Of couse there's no real advantage to this, since
> each download is potentialy just 1/5 (assuming 5 connections) of the speed a
> single download from me.

I think bandwidth solutions are superior in this regard. You can never be sure
that the same IP address is the same person, or different IP addresses are
from different people--for example, I have both cable and adsl. I can thus
download twice as fast as anyone else can in a bandwidth-per-connection or
-per-ip limited situation and there's little anyone can do about it because
the two IP addresses are so different. But limit the total amount of
bandwidth and the best anyone can do is max it out to that value and no
faster--including people like me.

You'll never be able to limit it on a per-human-being basis without some kind
of authentication beforehand--like visit a webpage, authorize the download,
and then limit that location to only one connection at a time.