Subject: PPP internals
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/18/2003 21:49:29
I just converted my ppp connection from a simple dial-up to
one number to ppp-pap (scales better). I noticed a nasty difference
in the process:

In the previous script (taken from LINUX Slackware 6yrs ago),
the command line goes like this:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/tty00 57600
  asyncmap 0xa0000 noccp kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP noipdefault
  netmask $NETMASK defaultmask connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

# $LOCAL_IP and $REMOTE_IP are set earlier in script...

The current incarnation goes like this:
exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/tty00 57600
  asyncmap 0xa0000 kdebug 0 noipdefault defaultroute call $POP
# $POP is got from command line...

In the first version I had no /etc/ppp/peers directory, the chat
script logged me in, and /etc/ppp/options was 9KB. In the second,
I had local options in /etc/ppp/peers/megapipe (my ISP), but /etc/ppp/options had to be whittled all the way down to 5KB lest I get stuck with half a connection... (pppd did everything).

Is there a buuffer limitation of some sort in pppd that I have
to deal with?
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup