Subject: Re: Help to install NetBSD
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: James Buchanan <jamesbuch@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2003 02:47:22
Hi,

Thanks for this Steve.  I ran the NetBSD Live CD and sampled the
installation/config screens, and it seems reasonable, but lots of
things fly past and I miss them (keyboard mappings etc) but of course
I didn't see the disk partitioning bit.  The installer needs serious
work to correct things flying past off screen with never the chance to
see them.

My video card works it seems, but 386Live did not want to start KDE
for some reason.  The grey screen with the X mouse pointer came up,
mouse moving OK etc, but then it died.  The KDE window didn't start,
and I got a console instead.

I am worried about the modem issue, and maybe I will just get a 56K
serial modem (hardware modem that works with Linux) since it's likely
that it will work.  At least then I can use one of my narrowband
accounts to dialup and get help on the list if I need to.

I am halfway downloading the second i386 CD in a 7-CD set! :-/  There
are some nice pre-compiled packages on the 2 CDs for i386 that I will
have in the next hour.  That gives me emacs, CUPS and so on.  That
will have to do.  I can't afford a $500 bill to download all those ISO
CD images :-)

Thanks for taking the time to respond Steve.  If an AT&T researcher
can find things a challenge I don't see what hope I've got :-(

;-)

Warmly,
James