Subject: Re: Help to install NetBSD
To: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
From: James Buchanan <jamesbuch@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2003 23:40:37
Hi!

Thanks heaps for your response.  In your comment about accepting what
the BIOS thinks, obviously the NetBSD installer looks at BIOS data
areas and gathers the disk geometry info and the partitioning
programme in the installer fills in those values automatically?  So
then all I need to do is calculate by 512 bytes per sector to get
sizes of the partitions that I want (unless it offers me the ability
to append an M or G to a numeric value, and it assigns disk geometry
info for me.)

I am downloading the 386 packages ISO cd image now, the first CD, that
should be good enough for now until I get used to using the system.  I
found a package list on the ftp site you gave me which is very
helpful!  (I didn't know it existed.)  Now I can see what pre-compiled
packages are on what CDs.  That compilation of KDE sounds like a
nightmare, I think I will give it a miss :-)

I am not familiar with setting up networking, so I will forget cvssup
and so on for now until I get my head around it.  I will download the
CD iso's that I need to make it easier for me.  The thing I am likely
to have trouble with is getting my USB ADSL modem to work, and making
it work with PPPoE, and even then, I don't know how to do that, or
what number to dial to my provider (Windows says it's a DSL-WAN,
number 35,7 or whatever.  Blah.)

Thanks!!
:-)
James