Subject: Re: Debugging my modem (was Ameritrade v NetBSD1.6.0)
To: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2003 21:49:07
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2003/02/09/0000.html

Poking around my old PPP scripts for when I used KCNet (an ISP in
the Kansas City area), I believe that what I did to connect was
simply:

pppd call kcnet    (From memory and glancing at man-pages)

...and then I had the following files in /etc/ppp:

peers/kcnet
chat-kcnet
options.tty00
papsecrets

The file contents were:

 /~~~ peers/kcnet

tty00 115200
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-kcnet -r /tmp/chat.log'
noauth
defaultroute
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote

 \___ peers/kcnet

I.e., use tty00, and on the hardware wire speed, use 115200bps.
Connect using the "chat" program and "chat-kcnet" for the script.
"noauth", I think, refered to *me* not requiring my *ISP* to
authenticate.  "defaultroute" set the defaultroute (side-note:
the defaultroute PPP option does not work with either mouse-pppoe
nor with the in-kernel pppoe in 1.6.)

I don't remember what the last two options were good for.  You
can probably find them in the man-page.  (^&

 /~~~ chat-kcnet

ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
ABORT "BUSY"
ABORT "Username/Password Incorrect"
"" "atz"
OK "at&d0&c1"
OK "atdt8169361004"
"ogin:" "rkr"
"word:" "MyPasswordWasHere"
"~-^Uppp-~"

 \___ chat-kcnet

(The last line was just to pick up that the PPP connection was going live.)

(In case you don't know the Hayes AT modem commands by some chance,
"atdt816..." is for AT (Attention?), Dial, with Tone-dialing, the
number 816... (i.e., my ISP's phone number).  Change the number appropriately.
*grin*  The ABORT error codes may vary slightly with your modem,
and the last one may vary with your ISP.  The "ogin:" and "word:" assume
that you get a standard UNIX login prompt after connecting.  "rkr" was my
account name.)

The syntax of the chat script looks mixed, above.  But, it's what I
have in my old files, and I know that they worked.  (^&

 /~~~ options.tty00

crtscts
modem

 \___ options.tty00

Look in the man-pages.  (^&

Implicitly used because I selected the tty00 device.

 /~~~ papsecrets

rkr kcnet.com MyPasswordWasHere

 \___ papsecrets

(Passwords removed to protect the innocent.  (^&  Though the account should
be long gone by now.)

(Again, "rkr" was my account name.  kcnet.com was my ISP, of course.)

I'm not 100% sure if the papsecrets was used, since the chat script
had already logged me in.

As always, your mileage may vary.  (^&

I don't think that I used the above since the 1.4 days (maybe
1.5?).  After moving to Houston, I set up with DSL---first using
mouse-pppoe from pkgsrc, then (under 1.6) using in-kernel PPPoE.
As I noted, these both broke defaultroute support.

It should all work the same, or nearly so, but I haven't actually
tried in a couple of years.  (^&

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org