Subject: Re: 1.6.1 stability problems?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2003 02:09:26
--=..csKqWDmBMHvl+

"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com> wrote:

> In message <20030208003932.5eb24ce1.christianbiere@gmx.de>, Christian
> Biere writes:
> >could you provide a backtrace of a crash?

> I wish I could, but I don't know how to get one.  The machine locks up
> hard, and the only way I know to reset it -- this is a laptop -- is to
> lean on the power button for several seconds.  ctl+alt+esc doesn't
> work at that point, as best I can tell, though since I'm in X I'm not
> 100% certain.

Try putting ddb.onpanic=0 into your /etc/sysctl.conf. In case of kernel
panic the memory should be dumped and a backtrace should be written to
the kernel mesg buffer. You should find this message in
/var/log/messages or read it with dmesg after rebooting.
<CTRL>+<ALT>+<ESC> seems to be futile while your running X (at least on
i386) - sometimes the keyboard is still useable but often it's not and
then you cannot even sync the disks making the panic even worse.

Christian

--=..csKqWDmBMHvl+

--=..csKqWDmBMHvl+--