Subject: Re: Keeping system up-to-date on the 1.6 branch & full build time
To: Colin Surprenant <colins@videotron.ca>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2003 08:18:03
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Colin Surprenant wrote:

> I would like to know what the proper way is to update a 1.6 system installed
> from the (iso) distribution cd to the latest 1.6 which includes (security)
> patches and fixes and also keep track of futures patches and fixes on the
> 1.6 branch.

To keep track -- subscribe to the netbsd-announce mailing list to receive
emails about NetBSD security advisories.

> >From what I see I should "cvs checkout -rnetbsd-1-6 src" to get the lastest
> 1.6 sources which includes the latest patches and fixes. Then I'd need to do
> a make build and update the whole system with the newly built 1.6.
>
> Is that the better way to proceed?

That should be fine. You can use the build.sh script to build also. Have a
look at src/BUILDING.

You can either install directly over / -- or better yet, build the new tar
sets, and then unpack yourself. (Then use etcupdate to update /etc and
devices.)

> I long can I expect a full build to take on my SPARCstation 20 (with a
> 150MHz HyperSparc)?

I don't know; but I can guess longer than seven hours. Doing the cvs,
building, installing, and manually updating configs (probably not needed),
could take a full day.

> I much extra disk space (not including the sources) is required for the
> whole build process?

Around 150 MB for the destination files (not including tar sets).
Probably around 450 MB for all object files. (And with source over a 1 GB
for everything, but no X.)

   Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'Vhfxulw|}xsgdwhv}dw~kwws=22zzz1sxjhwvrxqgwhfkqrorj|1frp2~' |
tr /-~54 ,-y\ \\n