Subject: Re: Bay routers
To: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
From: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2003 14:09:11
Iggy Drougge writes:

> Some years ago, a bigish box from the late eighties or early eighties
> fell into my hands. It's since left me, but this is what I recall:
> It had two 68020 CPUs, one at 20 and one at 16 MHz. I'm not certain
> whether it had an MMU as well.
> It also had several serial ports, some plain odd ports, a floppy drive
> and an ethernet interface. ISTR it being VME based.
> Give my shady collections, I don't know whether it could be port
> material or not, but perhaps someone else knows?
> The make was Wellfleet, later on known as Bay networks.

Probably the Wellfleet BN series
(http://www.nortelnetworks.com/products/01/bnrf/index.html).  Depending on
how big is big, it could be a BLN (5-6 rack units high) or a BCN (about a
third of a rack high).  There were also older LN & FN models that I sorta
recall were VME-ish.

Should have one VME-ish (but not VME) card that plugs into the front, which
is the slot processor card (called a FRE), and one that plugs into the back
that has the ports on it.  You could mix-n-match port cards & FREs.  There
were FREs based on the 68020, 68030, 68040 and 68060.

Wellfleet got sucked up into Bay Networks which got sucked up into Nortel.
They still sell the things, as ancient as they are.

As far as MMUs, the 68020 FRE didn't have them, and the 68060 FRE uses
68EC060s (the version lacking MMU & FPU support).  I don't recall how the
others were configured.

Ken