Subject: Re: Bay routers
To: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2003 19:33:08
Hi !

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Iggy Drougge wrote:
> Some years ago, a bigish box from the late eighties or early eighties
> fell into my hands. It's since left me, but this is what I recall:
> It had two 68020 CPUs, one at 20 and one at 16 MHz. I'm not certain
> whether it had an MMU as well.
> It also had several serial ports, some plain odd ports, a floppy drive
> and an ethernet interface. ISTR it being VME based.
> Give my shady collections, I don't know whether it could be port
> material or not, but perhaps someone else knows?
> The make was Wellfleet, later on known as Bay networks.

Whis description is very weak... But picking out the keywords "bigish", "2
68020" "several serial ports"... This matches on my old Bull DPX2000 i gave
away a while ago.

This was a large box with a weight of maybe 100kg (or a bit less), had fine
drive modules, which could be easily removed/inserted, 2 were at the rear for
hard disks, 2 at the front for streamers or so.

A power supply module was in the bottom of the box, also easy to slide out.

The machine itself used a 68020 or 68030 clocked at 20 or 25 MHz IIRC, also had
MMU and FPU installed. 8 Megs of RAM were built in, lots of serial ports for
printers/terminals (i think 24 ports were there), and a SCSI adapter which also
made use of an 68020 clocked at 16 MHz.

It had no ethernet, bus looked a bit like VME, maybe it was VME, maybe it was
something proprietary. This was a "normal" Unix machine running a Unix called
"SPIX".

But in general, there are really lots of machines matching your description, my
MVME141-based Motorola S8000 is also something using multiple m68k CPUs (68010
on SCSI controller), my Dolphin Triton/88k uses M88100 as system CPU and a
68020 or so on every I/O card, The larger Sun3 machines were m68k-based boxes
with m68k-CPUs on several I/O cards...

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX