Subject: Re: How to fix a hard drive error
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2003 13:36:03
At 10:44 AM -0800 1/30/03, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>I have a single IDE drive in a NetBSD 1.6 system. Starting recently,
>the console tells me:
>
>wd0e: error reading fsbn 16596096 of 16596096-16596111 (wd0 bn
>19775328; cn 19618 tn 6 sn 6), retrying
>wd0: (uncorrectable data error)
>
>This repeats many times, always the exact same numbers.
>
>How can I deal with this?

Thanks for all the help so far. It is indeed that the bad-sector file
is already full, and spilling over. So I have backed up the important
parts of this drive, and have a new drive on order. The system is
limping along in an interesting fashion. It works fine for about 48
hours with no messages like the one above, then gets pretty damn
stuck emitting messages like the one above. Sometimes I can do a
clean reboot, sometimes I can't, and even 'fsck -y' in single-user
mode gets a bit haired out.

So, my question is this: can I determine what files are associated
with the error messages? If they are files that get accessed but I
don't need them there, I might be able to move them away for now. The
disk is less than half-full, so maybe I can forestall until the new
drive has gotten here.