Subject: Re: How to fix a hard drive error
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2003 23:25:35
On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:44:52AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> I have a single IDE drive in a NetBSD 1.6 system. Starting recently,
> the console tells me:
>
> wd0e: error reading fsbn 16596096 of 16596096-16596111 (wd0 bn
> 19775328; cn 19618 tn 6 sn 6), retrying
> wd0: (uncorrectable data error)
>
> This repeats many times, always the exact same numbers.
>
> How can I deal with this?

As others have already said, if possible and the drive is still under waranty,
remplace it.
There may be a workaround, though: it's possible that the drive couldn't
remap this sector because it coudln't recover the data from it. A write
to this sector will remap it. In single user:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d seek=16596096
Of course the data of this block is lost. if it's a data block you'll have
a corrupted file. If it's metadata you'll have a corrupted filesystem.
So better run fsck -f on the partition this block belongs to.

Note that usually there's not only one bad sector, you may have to do this
for sectors following 16596096 too.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>