Subject: Re: Keeping system up-to-date on the 1.6 branch & full build time & space?
To: Colin Surprenant <colins@videotron.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2003 23:17:41
On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:59:37AM -0500, Colin Surprenant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know what the proper way is to update a 1.6 system installed
> from the (iso) distribution cd to the latest 1.6 which includes (security)
> patches and fixes and also keep track of futures patches and fixes on the
> 1.6 branch.
>
> >From what I see I should "cvs checkout -rnetbsd-1-6 src" to get the lastest
> 1.6 sources which includes the latest patches and fixes. Then I'd need to do
> a make build and update the whole system with the newly built 1.6.
>
> Is that the better way to proceed?
>
> I long can I expect a full build to take on my SPARCstation 20 (with a
> 150MHz HyperSparc)?

I'd say something between 1 and 2 days, based on whay my 100Mhz SGI is able to
do do.
Note that you can cross-compile if you have a faster machine, it's not harder
in any manner than building on the host the binary are for (the build.sh
system *always* setup a cross-compile environnement). A 1Ghz PIII with 1G of
RAM and a standart IDE disk needs less than 3 hours.

> I much extra disk space (not including the sources) is required for the
> whole build process?

My mips needs 700 or 800MB, but binary size is dependant on architechture ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>