Subject: Re: How to fix a hard drive error
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2003 21:32:22
On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:44:52AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> I have a single IDE drive in a NetBSD 1.6 system. Starting recently,
> the console tells me:
>
> wd0e: error reading fsbn 16596096 of 16596096-16596111 (wd0 bn
> 19775328; cn 19618 tn 6 sn 6), retrying
> wd0: (uncorrectable data error)
>
> This repeats many times, always the exact same numbers.
>
> How can I deal with this?

Fwiw, I had a similar problem on an OpenBSD system a week or two ago.  I
thought the disk was going bad.  But I looked up the error on google and
got some hints that maybe it was just a bus-master DMA problem.

Long story short, I disabled DMA on the bus, and since then, I have had no
more of these errors.  (I was able to reproduce them at the time by
subjecting the disk to heavy i/o; I am no longer able to do so.)

HOWEVER, in my case, it was not always the same numbers, and it would be
preceded by a bunch of "correctable" errors.  The numbers were always
different (because of this, I originally thought I was having an
electronics failure).

Considering that in your case it's always the same, I have to agree with
the other posters that it's most likely a real drive problem.

P.S. Also make sure you're using an 80-wire IDE cable in any case.