Subject: Re: 1.6 i386
To: Marek <marekp@iafrica.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2003 19:27:17
--EDJsL2R9iCFAt7IV

hi,

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:22:37PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:43:13 +0100 (CET) Michael Kukat wrote:
> >=20
> > The boot disks are just too large for 4 megs. I used the 1.5.2
> > bootdisks or so, and installed it manually.
>=20
> boot-tiny.fs will work.

it can but it's not always the truth.  i was trying to install NetBSD
1.6 on an old 486 laptop with 4MB RAM at 19c3 to some german guy and we
had a lot of fun with it :).

the boot-tiny.fs floppy booted but sysinst was unable to start due to
lack of free VM space (no swap at that time).  i worked around it by
creating disklabel by hand and creating and activating swap on the
laptop drive so sysinst could be started. (the installation had more
difficulties, like broken PCMCIA controller and we had not time to play
with serial ethernet connections or splitting distribution sets to
floppies.)

the conclusion is that you can install NetBSD 1.6 to a machine with 4MB
RAM but it could require more tinkering.  see INSTALL document for
manual installation hints in case sysinst dies for you.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --