Subject: Re: window(1)
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2003 13:09:50
On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:22:35PM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:
> Richard Rauch wrote:
> >
> >We have a program called window that ships with the base system.
 [...]
> I'd never seen it before, but your post piqued my interest. A quick
> read of the man page, followed by logging into my VaxStation to
> try it out, and now I'm a big fan!

(^&

 [...]
> I could be wrong, but the Sparc and Vax ports don't seem to do wscons,

I think that you're right.  The point was perhaps obscured.  I
tend to be verbose, and was trying to cut down on that.  As a result,
the content may have been slightly lost or abbreviated.

wscons and X are not available for everyone.  But they may be
undercutting the "need" for window to be improved.

> > * GNU screen is in pkgsrc and does most/all of the things that
 [...]
> >   (GNU EMACS also provides a lot of comparable functionality
> >   if you create split windows and run shell processes...)
> >

> Similar functionality, but GNU screen and Emacs don't come with the
 [...]

Yes.  And they have the GPL (an issue for some).  And EMACS is, well,
big.  (I like EMACS.  In X.  For editing text.  I don't live in it and
am not wild about it for a general environment, especially on a
text console.)

EMACS was kind of a side point.  But screen does have some real
advantages.  I'd like to narrow the gap where screen is better
than window.

I think perhaps you didn't read my whole message, or my point wasn't
clear.  Or maybe I'm not understanding you.  I think that we agree
that window is nice, and I hope you won't feel that it is terrible
if window is modified to emulate a more standard terminal or
support reconnections as screen does.  (^&

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org