Subject: MySQL installation
To: NetBSD - Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Rose <saider@gate.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2003 15:37:26
I am trying to get the MySQL database up and running and I am having
some difficulties.

I installed from source with the following...

cd /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql-server
make
make install
cd /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql-client
make
make install

I then try to start the server with the following command...
cd /usr/pkg/share/mysql
./mysql.server start

The server dies almost immediately and the reported error is...
030122 20:11:08  mysqld started
030122 20:11:08  /usr/pkg/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file:
'./mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
030122 20:11:08  mysqld ended

I look for the file and it is in /var/mysql/mysql/host.frm

I try starting the server from /var/mysql and I still get the error.

I've been looking at halp pages, but it is mostly for Linux systems and
they seem to put their mysql stuff in /usr/local instead of /var/mysql,
so I'm not sure where to start looking for trouble.

Any ideas?