Subject: Re: perms on /var/tmp/vi.recover and /tmp
To: None <>
From: leam <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2003 21:44:31
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> leam <> writes:
> > These were 1755 root:wheel. That seems to be a problem, as I can't write
> > a recoverable vi file, and can't put stuff in /tmp for temporary use.
> >
> > Is there a reason for this, or did I accidently hose something up?
> > NetBSD 1.6 on Sparc.
> You broke something. Look at /etc/mtree/NetBSD.dist.
> You can possibly recover by using mtree with the NetBSD.dist file to
> set back any ownerships/permissions you somehow broke.
> Perry

Oh drat. Judging by some of the games in /var/games, I whacked the write
perms for group and other on certain things. I moved the whole thing
around as a tar file, but would that change just the.... oh, nevermind.

umask 22. drat.

mtree seems to work. Thanks!

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."
--bumper sticker