Subject: Re: building Windows self-extracting executables?
To: Steve Bellovin <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2003 20:20:05

Did you look at /usr/pkgsrc/crosse/i386-cygwin?

(Cygwin is a set of libraries that make BillOS more or less POSIX, as I
understand their goal.  It consists of a .DLL and various executables
such as BASH and an X server.)

At worst, it seems like the resulting executable may require Cygwin;
and if you are careful you might even avoid that.  (I don't know what
is or is not required, though.)

If that would work for the environment, then a simple, roundabout way to
do this is to emit the data into some C structure or string, and
embed that directly in a Cygwin executable that interprets/"extracts"
the data.

Of course, extracting the archive with a standard archiver tool might become
more difficult.  But if you really need self-extractors (and that's all
that you need)...

Good luck.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."