Subject: Re: avoiding the 10 minute fsck...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030124T122124@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2003 12:29:57
mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us (Marshall Rose) writes:
> ...ok, so most of my netbsd systems are laptops with a single 20-40gb
> disk. i'll confess to not being particularly creative when partitioning
> the disk: i use the defaults that i get when i select "netbsd with x
> windows", i.e.,
>
>    268MB /
>    513MB swap
>     17GB /usr

You can split the big partition up into a section that stays mounted
all the time and a section that rarely gets mounted.  Amd is pretty
good about mounting things on a demand driven basis.

Another good thing to do is unmount as many partitions as you can from
/etc/rc.shutdown.local.  I find that -current goes through spates of
hanging on shutdown and it always seems to hang before unmounting the
$#%^ disks.  Doing the unmounts earlier from userland at least
protects the big partitions from having to be fsck-ed.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
      Decoding genes for the sake of cloning is against the DMCA

(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)