Subject: Re: building Windows self-extracting executables?
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/23/2003 11:30:35
On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:12:27PM -0500, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> Does anyone have any pointers to a NetBSD-compatible program that can
> generate self-extracting executable archives for Windows?  (The
> requirement comes from elsewhere...)  Grepping pkgsrc didn't show
> anything obvious.  The 'zip' man page speaks of an SFX stub that can be
> prepended, but I have no idea where to get such a thing for Windows.

I've never built UPX under NetBSD, but I don't know of any major barrier
to doing so.

It doesn't build self-extracting _archives_ though, it builds
self-extracting executables. You could probably put some form of tar
process in the shim with a bit of work.

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Abstract

   UPX is a free, portable, extendable, high-performance executable
   packer for several different executable formats. It achieves an
   excellent compression ratio and offers very fast decompression.  Your
   executables suffer no memory overhead or other drawbacks.

   UPX is copyrighted software distributed under the terms of the GNU
   General Public License, with special exceptions granting the free
   usage for commercial programs as stated in the UPX License Agreement.

universal: UPX can pack a number of executable formats:
   atari/tos djgpp2/coff dos/com dos/exe dos/sys linux/386 rtm32/pe
   tmt/adam watcom/le (supporting DOS4G, PMODE/W, DOS32a and CauseWay)
   win32/pe

portable: UPX is written in portable endian-neutral C++

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive