Subject: Re: Authenticating with LDAP
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2003 14:01:36
On May 8,  4:54am, "Greg A. Woods" wrote:
} [ On Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at 11:53:51 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
} >
} >      Only a nutcase would make a statement like this.  Most people that
} > have been here for any length of time have learned to just ignore
} > Greg.  He contends that since you have the source, you can just modify
} > it and recompile the entire system (as well as any third party apps
} > that need to do authentication).  This is obviously not realistic.
} > Greg lives in some kind of fanatasy world that nobody can figure out.
}
} It's entirely realistic to build and use modified Open Source systems.

     It may be realistic to do it, but that doesn't mean that it is
realistic to expect people to do it.

} People rebuild NetBSD from source every day -- even non-programmers can
} do it.  Maybe you can't do it John, but lots of other people can.

     I am quite capable of doing it.  I am also a programmer.  I have
hacked on NetBSD a number of times and have submitted patches.
However, that doesn't mean that I want to do it in order to make a
simple configuration change, nor that I should have to do it.

     You can do what ever you want with your systems.  However, this is
the 21st century and modern systems are configurable just by editing a
configuration file (or using a GUI which does the editing for you).
Rebuilding the system in order to make a simple configuration change is
something from the past.  Expecting people to rebuild the system in
order to make a configuration change is simply not realistic.  Most
people would relegate NetBSD to the scrapheap of history and move on to
something that is easier to administrate, not to mention much more
maintainable.  If NetBSD wants to be used by people, and therefore get
developers and vendor support, it must stay with the times.  Failing to
do so will mean that NetBSD will become a niche product used by a
relatively small number of people and will eventually die.

     You have been spouting the same line for the last couple of
years.  Nobody buys it.  This is my last post on this subject to you.
Since as I noted before, you are just a stubborn old fool with a
strange view of the world that refuses to listen to anybody else or
even to acknowledge their point of view.  There is simply no point in
discussing anything with you.

}-- End of excerpt from "Greg A. Woods"