Subject: Re: Static Linking
To: rmk@rmkhome.com, Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2003 13:21:05
On May 7,  8:15am, Rick Kelly wrote:
}
} I've seen it fairly widely communicated that Solaris 10 will no longer
} support building static libraries or linking against them. This will
} have wide ranging consequences when using opensource on Solaris. All apps
} that build private static libraries (bind, emacs, gcc, others) will all
} have to be hacked to support perhaps dozens of little shared libraries.
}
} It may not even be possible to bootstrap NetBSD on Solaris 10.

     Couldn't this problem be worked around by using our own
toolchain?  Just because Sun won't support it, I don't see why we can't
have our ar to build static libraries and our own ld to link them.

     Similarly, why couldn't the standard GNU bintools support building
and linking static libraries regardless of what Sun does?

}-- End of excerpt from Rick Kelly