Subject: Re: (long) Re: Authenticating with LDAP
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2003 11:23:56
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 04:11:12PM -0500,
 Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> It's not that hard!  Given an existing LDAP access library it should be
> mostly a cut&paste job.

Sure but it is not done yet. For a developer, it is a realistic job,
for a sysadmin which has other fish to fry, it is not a solution.

> Yup, sure, but that's an entirely separate issue.  It should be
> considered in the question of whether LDAP is an appropriate mechanism
> for a given site to use for authentication and authorisation information
> retrieval.

You apparently live in a world where all choices are yours. I live in
a world where some things are given (apples fall from the tree,
lawyers send messages in MS-Word format, user database is in LDAP,
etc) and you have to adapt, while waiting to be the boss (I will then
fire everybody using MS-Word but I will keep LDAP, which I likes).