Subject: Static Linking
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2003 11:44:58
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> It is in fact the dynamic nature of PAM which is one of its biggest
> drawbacks, security-wise.  I static-link all of my security sensitive
> programs.

Well, in fact, for security reasons I'm very happy NetBSD has moved
(in post-1.6) to a completely dynamically linked system. In the past
year I've been through two upgrades of every statically linked program
on several dozen systems due to security holes in libraries. Having to
upgrade only /lib/libc.so or whatever from now on is going to be soooo
much nicer....

cjs