Subject: Re: Static Linking
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2003 20:08:01
Curt Sampson said:

>Well, in fact, for security reasons I'm very happy NetBSD has moved
>(in post-1.6) to a completely dynamically linked system. In the past
>year I've been through two upgrades of every statically linked program
>on several dozen systems due to security holes in libraries. Having to
>upgrade only /lib/libc.so or whatever from now on is going to be soooo
>much nicer....

On the other hand...

I've seen it fairly widely communicated that Solaris 10 will no longer
support building static libraries or linking against them. This will
have wide ranging consequences when using opensource on Solaris. All apps
that build private static libraries (bind, emacs, gcc, others) will all
have to be hacked to support perhaps dozens of little shared libraries.

It may not even be possible to bootstrap NetBSD on Solaris 10.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com