Subject: Re: Authenticating with LDAP
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2003 14:22:18
On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:37:41PM -0500,
 Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com> wrote
 a message of 21 lines which said:

> Read the many various related threads on various netbsd mailing lists.

The one you gave me:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-advocacy/2001/09/30/0001.html

is very interesting, technically speaking, but it boils down to "PAM
is not perfect, one day, I will do something better".

> Plainly put PAM is utterly useless and unnecessary for NetBSD.

The problem is more pragmatic. OK, PAM sucks but:

1) What do you suggest instead? (If you say "NIS", I will ask why NIS
is better than LDAP, specially when we talk about security.)

2) What do you do when the current network uses LDAP and the issue is
not "What authentication protocol should we use?" but "Will I be able
to integrate a NetBSD machine into that network or should I reformat
the hard disk right now? Specially considering that I am the only one
in the technical team which uses NetBSD."