Subject: Re: Open Src Instant Messenger Server
To: Netbsd-Users (E-mail) <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Breton <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/18/2003 02:30:30
On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:39:07PM -0500, Carleton, Sam (SCI TW) wrote:
> I am looking for an open source instant messenger server/client which I use
> to replace Y! Instant Messenger.  Does anyone know of such a beast?

I'd suggest looking at Jabber, as have some others on the list.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:00:20AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> There is some sort of support for gpg (that I have not played with
> enough yet) that should do end-end encryption of messages.

Yes, I've used the gpg support in Gabber (on Linux, but that shouldn't
make a difference).  Works well!

There is also an encryption plug-in for Gaim called 'gaim-e' which may
suffice; I haven't tried it myself, though.

Also, if you use TOC (not Oscar) for AIM (Gaim supports both), you can use
'stunnel' to tunnel your connection to the AIM server.  Not as good as
end-to-end encryption though of course.