Subject: Re: Open Src Instant Messenger Server
To: Netbsd-Users (E-mail) <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/18/2003 02:30:30
On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:39:07PM -0500, Carleton, Sam (SCI TW) wrote:
> I am looking for an open source instant messenger server/client which I use
> to replace Y! Instant Messenger.  Does anyone know of such a beast?

I'd suggest looking at Jabber, as have some others on the list.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:00:20AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> There is some sort of support for gpg (that I have not played with
> enough yet) that should do end-end encryption of messages.

Yes, I've used the gpg support in Gabber (on Linux, but that shouldn't
make a difference).  Works well!

There is also an encryption plug-in for Gaim called 'gaim-e' which may
suffice; I haven't tried it myself, though.

http://gaim-e.sourceforge.net/

Also, if you use TOC (not Oscar) for AIM (Gaim supports both), you can use
'stunnel' to tunnel your connection to the AIM server.  Not as good as
end-to-end encryption though of course.